Saturday, May 07, 2011

Political Apathy

PAP

For the past 10 years of my life here in Singapore, never have I heard of the term ‘Opposition Party’ to be of any significant weight.

Not until now. I admit it. I’m quite apathetic when it comes to politics. Partly because we Malaysians Chinese will probably never get a shot at doing politics anyway. March 08 was a great eye opener, and I guess it had something to do with the response you find in Singapore now.

20 odd years ago, I never heard of election as something that’s so happening – everything is just the way it is and will continue to be to an indefinite amount of time. Now though, things are a bit different. If you go to Malaysia – especially West Malaysia, and spark off a political topic among the heartlanders, you won’t have to sleep for the night. Quite angsty actually.

Decades ago the answers were all quite standard – leave larh, cannot do anything about it what. That’s why I’m here today. That’s why 50% of my family is not in Malaysia. Used to joke that Malaysian Chinese is a bit like refugees all over the world.

Sincerely, at the bottom of my heart, I’d hope for some kinda equality in Malaysia. But oh well, maybe I’d never live to see it.

No comments: