Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Opposite of A.I.


Everything seems rather fast when you don't pay much attention to them - especially time. It's been a whole six months since i first started working at a company called BD and yesterday, it all came to and end.

Many of my course mates also ended their industrial attachment (IA) yesterday, though i know of some whom they call themselves the 'unfortunate few', who has been forced, willingly or unwillingly to extend their IA over another period of time. IA, as it is, has traditionally been regarded by students from NUS (not NTU coz it is compulsory for them to take IA) as some sort of 'boost' to their resume when they come out to work. At least you have some working experience to show your future employer and if you are attached to a huge company or some prestigious company, you might get a chance to be offered a job with them.

Coupled with the economic crisis right now, it's even more important for undergraduates to show some initiatives or have some recommendations from their previous working place to perhaps, secure a job when we come out from our institutions. It is also ironical, due to the economic crisis that companies hires IA students - cheap, willing to be SK warrior, work OT without OT pay. I had a friend who worked in a construction company previously as an intern, and after he left, the construction workers REFUSED to do his job even though the pay is higher. It is THAT bad.

Which led me to a lot of thanksgiving to do. My company has been very nice to me - most evidently in my hospitalization of the chicken pox disease. Not to mention being a huge company, the fringe benefits were quite good - buses to all over the island once your work is over, buses to pick you up when u come to work, company outings and free food during meetings. And of course, there is the project assign - which leads me to lesser SK and more time spent on solving the problem given to me. And the people there, whom i find myself bonded to quite closely after 6 months of joking around and having fun together.


In many ways, i believe that only God will know what is best for you. this wasn't the first company that comes into my mind when i apply - salary is low, Tuas is so far away, medical company sounds boring and irrelevant etc etc. So it ended up being one of my lower choices of companies which I've prioritized to apply, but through His guidance, and more so His grace, i ended up there nonetheless. I can honestly say that throughout the 6 months, i enjoyed it more than i could imagine.


What i want to say at the end of the day is, it was a great 6 months spent - having fun, found myself again, learn new things, make new friends, have chicken pox etc. Now holidays are finally dawning on me and i'm looking forward to it!

No comments: